Not sure if others have heard about it, but there's been emerging conflict between Occupy and (some elements) of the ILWU.
Jan 6th 2012: Unity vs. Union Bureaucracy
And now I saw this on Facebook:
Occupy Seattle has been formally asked to leave the Seattle Waterfront.
This resolution passed overwhelmingly at our stop work meeting last night.
ILWU Local 19 Resolution Regarding "Occupy Seattle"
Whereas: we support the general critiques of the "Occupy" movement on our government and the economy, we object to their interference with our union's democratic process and in our struggle with EGT in Longview.
The "Occupy" movement has tried to substitute themselves for the membership in our struggle with EGT, and has attempted to subvert the ILWU on the following points:
1) They have shut down our ports while citing our struggle with EGT, without our consent;
2) They have claimed the ILWU "rank and file" support these shutdowns, without our consent or vote;
3) They have maligned and libeled individual members of our union, and our entire local, on the internet and in public;
4) They organized a community event locally "to support the struggle with EGT" without any meaningful prior communication with us;
5) They have denounced our democratically elected leadership for taking positions on behalf of our union in which they disagree;
6) They have appointed people to speak on behalf of the ILWU without our consent;
7) In Seattle, they initiated physical violence against our members for objecting to their actions;
[8)] They and their constituent parts continue this behavior, placing our unity, our union, and our struggle with EGT at serious risk;
9) They refuse to be receptive to pleas and requests to cease such actions as described above;
Therefore, Be It Resolved:
That all ILWU local 19 members withhold all support for "Occupy", formally or informally;
That we do NOT support or endorse any action taken by members of "Occupy" at the Port of Longview or anywhere else;
That we will only reconsider when representatives of "Occupy" come to our hall and apologize to our membership for their actions, agree to make that apology public, and agree to cease and desist in their actions as described herein;
That we will continue to support our Brothers and Sisters in Longview in their battle with EGT on terms set forth by Local 21 and our duly elected International leadership.